BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND KALE LASAGNA
Okay one of my favorite things to have on my birthday, is lasagna and I have found one that uses some of my favorite ingredients: kale and butternut squash. If you want to make it non-dairy (vegan) you can replace the Ricotta for Tofutti and the mozzarella cheese for Daiya (a vegan version).
1 med. red onion, peeled and sliced
3 peeled garlic cloves (1 minced, 2 left whole)
2 cans (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp each of salt and black pepper
6 cups (about 2 lbs) butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½in. cubes
1/2tsp dried thyme
1 lb Lacinato Kale (often sold as dino kale)
9 whole wheat lasagna noodles (8 oz) can use gluten-free noodles instead
1 container (15oz) part skim-milk ricotta cheese
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
2. Add onion and minced garlic; cook stirring occasionally, until onion is
soft and translucent, 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, oregano, and ½tsp each salt & pepper.
4. Reduce heat and simmer until thick and flavors are combined, about 30
minutes. Set aside
5. While sauce is cooking, in a 12×15 inch baking pan, sprinkle squash with
thyme, remaining olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic cloves
and toss squash mixture to coat with oil. Bake until soft, 10-15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile bring 3 qts salted water to boil in a large pot.
7. Reduce oven temp to 350. Transfer squash and garlic to a food
processor and puree until smooth.
8. Tear kale leaves from center ribs and discard ribs. Boil leaves until soft,
5-8 minutes. Drain and let cool. Squeeze out as much water as possible
and chop finely.
9. In the same pot, bring another 3 qts salted water to boil. Add noodles and
cook until tender to the bite, about 10 mins. Drain, rinse with cold water.
10. In a bowl, mix ricotta, nutmeg, 1cup of mozzarella, and remaining ½tsp
each of salt & pepper.
11. Coat the bottom of 9×13 inch pan with 1/3 tomato sauce (about 1 ½cups).
12. Lay 3 noodles in a single layer over sauce. Top noodles with squash,
13. Sprinkle 1/2 kale evenly over squash. Arrange 3 more noodles on kale
and top with ricotta, spreading evenly.
14. Top with remaining kale and noodles.
15. Cover noodles with remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle with remaining
1 cup mozzarella.
16. Bake lasagna until juices are bubbling and cheese melted, about 30
minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.